Update as of 5 February 2007: The Crash Program originally scheduled to start on Feb. 12, 2007 has been postponed to April 16, 2007 for lack of participants.
Update as of 31 January 2007: I have been requested to delete No. 4 under Categories 1 and 2, but since this may cause confusion between those who saw the original version and those who will see the corrected version, I will just indicate that the said items are not requirements anymore.
The text below is from a document sent by Dean Rosalie Faderon of the Institute of Library and Information Science, University of the Philippines. Not one word or punctuation has been changed, but I have adjusted the format to fit the medium.
If you are not a Filipino librarian, you don't have to read the rest. But if you are, please spread the word, especially to those who may be eligible. If you wish to understand what this is all about, I should be able to provide some perspective once I get the necessary documents.
GUIDELINES FOR THE CRASH PROGRAM
1. Start of Crash Program for Librarians Who wish to Avail of Exemption and Who Lack 18 Units of LIS Subjects before 1990 is Feb. 12, 2007. The crash program will be conducted at 3rd Fl., Main Library Bldg. (Gonzalez Hall). Below is the schedule for the 6 core subjects:
Feb. 12-17, 20072. Applicants must come to the Institute of Library and Information Science, 3rd Fl., Main Library Bldg. (Gonzalez Hall), UP Diliman, Quezon City immediately and bring the following documents:
Lib. Administration, Management Including Laws and Related Practices and Trends
Feb. 19-24, 2007
Reference, Bibliography and User Services
Feb. 26-March 3, 2007
Selection and Acquisition of Multimedia Sources of Information
March 5-10, 2007
Cataloging and Classification of Information Sources
March 12-17, 2007
Indexing and Abstracting
March 19-24, 2007
All other LIS subjects in the curriculum may be given on a weekly schedule depending on the number of applicants.
1. Transcript of records3. The applicants who meet the requirements must immediately enroll in the LIS subject/s that they are advised to take even if these subjects will be taken after Feb. 19, 2007. They have to pay PhP 1,500.00 per core subject (1 week for 6 days (Monday to Saturday) at 8 hrs. a day).
2. Certification of employment
3. Evidence of eligibility (for those with 5 years experience)
These will be assessed before the applicant is allowed to enroll in the needed LIS subjects.
4. The Institute of Library and Information Science will immediately furnish the Board for Librarians a list of accepted applicants to beat the Feb. 19, 2007 deadline. This list will be checked at PRC when the applicants apply for exemption as early as Feb. 15, 2007. Non-inclusion in the list would mean non-acceptance of application for exemption.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER: (REQUIREMENTS FOR EXEMPTION)
You should qualify under one (1) category only: