Quick Links: Talumpati | Licensed Librarians | Filipiniana Online | Stereotypes | Leadership | The Philippines

Broadway: Wicked

Website | Libretto

wickedWhat if Cory Aquino and Imelda Marcos were, in fact, batchmates in college? What if they were not just batchmates, but best friends? And what if, contrary to what everyone knows, there was a story that has never been told?

That, in essence, is what Wicked—which tells the story of the unlikely friendship between Glinda, the witch of the North, and Elphaba, the witch of the West—is all about.

If you liked The Wizard of Oz or The Wiz (whether book, movie or musical), go see Wicked. But you'll need an open mind because the witches aren't as black-and-white as they're presented in the original works above.

Music and lyrics were by Stephen Schwartz (Pippin, The Prince of Egypt), but as Rickey has said, "I cannot for the life of me remember any melody from Wicked."

The book and lyrics, however, are another matter. Perhaps because the musical is, in fact, based on a novel: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire.

The following lines probably won't mean much if you haven't seen the show, but these are the words that stuck in my mind:

The Wizard tells Elphaba that he hasn't been lying to the people of Oz and adds, "...where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true... we call it history!" Try and imagine some politicians saying such a thing =)

The "good" and "bad" witches sing about their friendship, and made me think about the many good people I've met in my life:
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But, because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...
And then there's the "wicked" witch telling her boyfriend not to be wicked:
Elphaba: I wish I could be beautiful... for you.
Fiyero: Elphaba...
Elphaba: Don't tell me that I am, you don't need to lie to me.
Fiyero: It's not lying! It's... uh... it's looking at things another way.
And that's what Wicked is really all about: Looking at things another way.


Category: Broadway

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...