Quick Links: Talumpati | Licensed Librarians | Filipiniana Online | Stereotypes | Leadership | The Philippines

Filipina: Black Eyed Peas' Bebot Videos



Bebot is slang for babae, a Filipino word that may be translated into English as "woman" or "female." Or "hot chick," as the writer told MTV News.

The video above, aka "Generation One," is only one of two videos for "Bebot" by the Black Eyed Peas, one of whom happens to be Filipino. The other video, "Generation Two," features Jasmine Trias, Camile Velasco, and many more. Other videos regarding the making of the Bebot videos are available here.

It is, perhaps, appropriate that "Generation One" appeared on the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the first group of Filipino sakadas in Hawaii (see "Singgalot and the Fourth of July"). To find out why the video was set in Stockton in 1936, read "Little Manila comes alive" by Ian Hill (Stockton Record, 4 August 2006). For more information on Stockton then and now, see Little Manila.

Finally, in celebration of Buwan ng Wika, I have translated the lyrics into English for the benefit of those who don't speak Tagalog. I know that doesn't quite make sense, but never mind =)


Bebot
Ikaw ang aking bebot
Ikaw ay Filipino

Hoy, pare, pakinggan niyo 'ko
Eto nang tunay na Filipino
Galing sa Barrio Sapangbato
Pumunta ng L.A., nagtrabaho

Para makatulong sa nanay
Dahil sa hirap ng buhay
Pero masaya pa rin ang kulay
Pag kumain nagkakamay

Yung kanin, chicken adobo
Yung balut, binebenta sa kanto
Tagay mo na nga ang baso
Pare ko, inuman na tayo

Masdan mo ang magagandang dalaga
Nakakagigil ang beauty mo talaga
Lambingin, di nakakasawa
Ikaw lang ang gustong makasama

Yung bahay o kubo
Pag-ibig mo ay totoo
Puso ko'y laging kumikibo
Wala kang katulad sa mundo ko

Pinoy ka, sigaw na, sige
Kung maganda ka, sigaw na, sige
Kung buhay mo'y mahalaga, sige
Salamat sa iyong suporta
Bebot
You are my woman
You are Filipino

Hey buddy, listen to me
Here’s a true Filipino
From Barrio Sapang Bato
Moved to L.A., and worked

To help out my mom
Because of the hard times
But I'm still happy with my color
I use my hands to eat

Rice and chicken adobo
Balut is sold at the street corner
Pass me a glass
Buddy, let’s start drinking

Watch the beautiful women
Your beauty is irresistible
I can't romance you enough
You're the only one I want to be with

Whether house or hut
Your love is true
My heart is always saying
You're the only one in my world

You're Pinoy, shout it out
If you're beautiful, shout it out
If your life is important
Thanks for your support

Category: Filipina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...